Re: Compilation problem with kernel 2.4.16

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:35:40PM -0800, James E Wilson wrote:

> You can use the specifix toolchain release to build the linux kernel.
> However, you can't use the sb1-elf binaries.  These are only for
> building embedded applications that run on top of CFE without an OS.  To
> build the linux kernel, you need to grab the sources (which are just FSF
> gcc-3.4.x with some SB-1 support backported), configure them for
> mips-linux (or mips64-linux), and then build and install them.  You can
> then use this compile to build the linux kernel.
>
> There is a learning curve here if you have never done this before.
> There is probably a FAQ somewhere that explains how to do this.  I don't
> know offhand where to look for linux kernel building FAQs.  Perhaps
> someone else can point you at one.

There is a lot of information in the wiki http://www.linux-mips.org/ and
I would like to encourage people to contribute to it.  Editing a wiki
page _once_ is more productive than answering the same question again
and again ...  In particular I also want to encourage the mere mortals
to contribute to the wikis.

  Ralf