Re: insmod: ELF file not for this architecture

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:37:56PM -0500, Eric Gaulin wrote:

> I built linux 2.6.11 with amd patch for Alchemy Au1200 and also built the
> mae-driver.ko. When i load the driver i get this error "insmod: ELF file not
> for this architecture". I was told on #elinux irc channel tha i need to
> enable ELF support in my kernel configuration! There is no such option!

Good and correct advice but yet besides the point, so let's sort this out.

The #elinux guys were speaking about the CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF option which
needs to be enabled for the kernel to execute ELF applications.  Note
I'm saying applications, not kernel modules.  For Linux/MIPS all
applications use the ELF format, so there is no point in ever disabling
this option and so all the default configuration files included with the
kernel have this option set.

Now, what does your error message actually mean?  First of all it's an
error message which seems to come from the old modutils, so you seem to
be using Linux 2.4 kernel.  Nice fossil, btw ;-)  And the message simply
indicates you're trying to load a non-MIPS binary into a MIPS system.
Chances are you build your module using the host instead of the cross
compiler - something like that.  Try ``file mae-driver.ko´´.

For Linux/MIPS specific advice you may want to drop by in #mipslinux.

  Ralf