Re: MIPS kernel status as of 2.6.16-rc5

Michael Dosser <mic@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

>>  - IP22: Indigo2 with > 256 MB fails to boot (regression from 2.4;
>>    while 2.4 would only see 256 MB, it would at least boot)
>
> Is there a chance, that even if it would boot with > 256 MB linux could
> actually use all 384 MB of RAM? If not, does anybody know why and can
> explain it (I am no kernel developer and know only very little about the
> I2 hardware)?

IIRC, a discontig memory implementation is needed for the I2 to use
more than 256 MB, due to the memory layout on this machine (with
aliased memory etc -- see the R3000 MC spec).

I kind of lost track of this issue recently, so I may have forgotten
some details and got part of the above totally wrong :)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169