Re: IP22 doesn't shutdown properly

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 06:12:27PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-02-19 16:52]:
beginning, the light on the Indy is green but after about 20 seconds
it turns red.  Nothing happens on the console and the machine doesn't
turn off.  Seen on Indy and Indigo2.
Anyone got a fix?
No.  Do you know when this problems started?
A long time ago, it seems.  I can trace it back to 2.6.9;
unfortunately I don't get any older kernel to run/compile, possibily
because my toolchain isn't old enough (I even installed the SDE that's
based on 3.3).

ISTR my 2.6.12 works for Indy shutdown (That's with gcc-4.0).

Now is that with newport or serial console? I was only able to reproduce this when using serial console...and even that is hit or miss. The last time I pulled out my r4400 indy to do some kernel testing, this was a major pain in my ass.

Basically, I could log into serial console, do some stuff, enter the reboot command from there, and everything would be just fine. However, if I had a serial connection and a ssh connection at the same time, and I issued the reboot command from my ssh connection, the machine would hang exactly in the way which has been described (sits there for about 20 seconds doing nothing, and then the red light comes on).

Hmm...now that I think about it some more, I want to say that rebooting the machine would hang as long as there was a getty process running on a serial port, whether or not I had ever logged in over serial.

For what it's worth, I also use gcc-4 to build my kernels.

-Steve