Rogue Branch - can git help here?

I've got an old Linux 2.4.18 source tree I downloaded from a vendor who sells devices using MIPS processors with embedded Linux running on them.

There are clearly places in the code where the vendor has made changes. Unfotunately, the vendor used their own CVS and every tagged file shows revision 1.1.1.1.

Can GIT help me determine on which date the vendor's tree was originally pulled?

I thought of a script call GIT to diff the file against all revisions in the repo, possibly creating patch files, and then I could look at the number of changes for each as a measure of "closeness". Doing this for several files and finding commonality in the dates would increase the probability of finding the right one.

If I copy the vendor source tree into the local GIT tree and commit a new branch are there any facilitites in GIT that would tell me which older revision, prior to a given date, is the best "match" on the files in the tree?

I just started using GIT and maybe the question is better for the GIT mailing list but I figured I'd ask it here first and see if anyone has already done something like this.

In case anyone's wondering the device ships with a binary-only device driver module that will only work with a 2.4.18 kernel and that's why I'm stuck in the past on this.