Re: DECstation R3000 boot error

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:

> > We're getting the following boot error on a DECstation with R3K CPU.
> > It simply hangs after the "high precision timer" message.  Maciej, do
>
> It's trying to use a timer source that does not exist on the DECstation you're
> trying to use, most likely. What model is it you have ? I've tracked it down

 Well, I don't think it's possible to calculate frequency of something
that's inexistent, yet it does...  That's a /240.

> when I got my first (working) DECstation (5000/133) a
> month or so ago. Forgot all about it under the holidays. I think
> I have a patch somewhere to fix it, I'll do some digging.

 The /133 (as all 3MINs) may have an older revision of the I/O ASIC that
may not have the free-running counter indeed.  It's handled correctly
regardless, except from missing timestamp precision, obviously.

 What kind of a patch do you need anyway and why isn't it yet in my mail?

  Maciej