Compiling a kernel for ibm z50

Hi,

I am a newbie trying to compile a kernel for my z50 and up to now failed.

This is my set up:
-An old Pentium II box with Redhat 8
-Downloaded linux-2.6.13.mipscvs-20050904 from www.longlandclan...and bzip2
and tar into /usr/src.
-Installed the mipsel crosscompiler from MIPS SDE
-After make config, when trying to make dep, I get a warning: make dep is
unnecessary now.
-Doing a ls arch/mips/boot I get a file called "compressed" with only a
folder called "CVS" .
 Questions:
1.Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?
2.Give me some advise on the proper way to crosscompile?
3.Has somebody a compiled kernel (and root) that will be willing to share
with me, to boot using hpcboot?

Many thanks

oski