Re: Git

On Wed, 2005-09-14 13:37:50 +0100, Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:58:58AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > monotone
> > 	Is quite nice'n'easy to use for CVS users, you'll have quite a
> > 	fast start. The network sync protocol can be a bit lengthy at
> > 	a time, but it works. It's acceptable in speed, but not
> > 	exactly "fast". Written in C, code can easily be read and
> > 	hacked.
>
> Git has taken some ideas from Monotone.

Though monotone uses a (berkeley?) DB to store all objects...

> > arch
> > 	Arch can do almost everything; it's network sync protocol is
> > 	quite fast (can use several transports and will make use of
> > 	caches). However, it's not exactly easy to use because of it's
> > 	thousands of commands and it's project name conventions are,
> > 	um, ugly. It has very good merging capabilities, but it's
> > 	heavy use of local caches forces you to have loads of free HDD
> > 	space.
>
> Git is a huge diskspace consumer also unless repositories are converted.
> For example, the Linux kernel repository from CVS did inflate itself to
> over 4GB and over 340,000 files.  After packing I got that down to like
> 170MB.  Not bad compared to the some 770MB of RCS files it's using
> currently and < 11s checkout from git can't be wrong either ;-)

Well, Arch *may* cache any tree version you check out. So take a
source tree and check-out some 15 tree versions, you may end up with a
really *hugh* cache. You're free to delete it, though...

> > To get fixes/port updates/subsystem updates upstream to Linus, GIT is
> > the way[tm] to go, so we'd try to get familiar with it.
>
> The other accepted currency of the trade are still simple patches, see
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/The_perfect_patch.

ACK. But unless you've got the perfect Patch Queue Manager that'll
re-diff and re-send your patches automatically to Linus, you keep on
doing some manual work or at least starting your scripts ever and ever
again :)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O