Going over 512M of memory

Hi,

Our target experienced a kernel panic at startup when trying to access
memory above 512MB.

Reading the list archives I found this thread with a proposed patch:

http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2005-02/msg00115.html

After applying the patch our target boots OK and appears to be able to
access the whole memory range without problems.

Any idea why this patch didn't make it to the repository? Is it safe?

Thanks,
Alex