Booting linux on Malta board

hi all,
I have a MIPS based malta board. For this I have two linux kernel
images. First one is built from Montavista 2.4.20 sources and the
second one is built from the 2.4.29 kernel sources downloaded from
linux-mips.org. In my setup, image is downloaded to the target malta
board by using load command in YAMON and root file system is mounted
on NFS.
If I use the image built from Montavista sources, my target is up and
running. On the otherhand if I use the image built from linux-2.4.29
sources, the board hangs after displaying the message "Linux started".

config file for 2.4.29 is enclosed along with this mail.

My malta board info
----------------------------

Board type/revision = 0x02 (Malta) / 0x00
Core board type/revision = 0x01 (CoreLV) / 0x01
FPGA revision = 0x0001
Processor Company ID/options= 0x01 (MIPS Technologies Inc.) / 0x00
Processor ID/revision = 0x80 (MIPS 4Kc) / 0x05
Endianness = big
CPU/Bus frequency = 125 MHz/ 63 MHz
Flash Memory size = 4 MByte
SDRAM size = 64 MByte
First free SDRAM address = 0x8009e380

Tool chain Information:
--------------------------------

mips-linux-gcc - 3.3.6
binutils - 2.15.94.0.2.2
uClibc-0.9.27

Tool chain is built using buildroot and same tool chain is used to
compile both the kernels.
Has anyone faced this problem? Can you please point out what could be
the problem ?

Same problem is observed when vanilla linux 2.4.25 source from
kernel.org is compiled.
Can we use vanilla linux kernel on malta, without any patches ?

TIA,
--kishore