RE: top and SMP

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > Looks like I am running procps version 2.0.7.  The latest is 3.2.5, so I am
> > a bit out of date.  I would like to upgrade, but I am having trouble cross
> > compiling the latest.  I get this error:
> > 	Proc/libproc-3.2.5.so: undefined reference to '__ctype_b'
>
> Is the version of glibc your cross-toolchain links against the same as the
> version of glibc on the target?
>
> Last time I saw that one was when trying to run `old' (i.e. dynamically linked
> against an older glibc) binaries on a system with a new glibc.

 This is strange -- while there are such problems with static libraries
(archives) consisting of objects built using headers of glibc 2.2.x when
used for linking against static glibc 2.3.x, there should be none with
shared objects.  That '__ctype_b' reference should get resolved using a
versioned symbol that is still available for run-time linking from shared
libc.  Perhaps that libproc has been built incorrectly, without a
reference to libc?  Or there is a problem with binutils...

 Anyway, rebuilding libproc should fix the problem -- make sure `gcc' is
used for creating shared libproc rather than `ld' (I hope its Makefiles do
not use any wild shared library hackery).

  Maciej