-march=r10000 Support for MIPS Targets (Old 3.4.x Patch; requires porting, assistance requested)

Hi All,

I've poked around on this patch to gcc-3.4.x from time-to-time (When I get the time to do so), and haven't really gotten anywhere. It's a patch I forward-ported some time ago from gcc-3.0 up to gcc-3.4.2/3.4.3. It's worked fine in gcc-3.4.3 on MIPS userlands under IP28, IP30, and IP27 systems for several months now (probably closer to a year at this point). Based on feedback I've gotten from Eric Christopher back in Aug '04 (Hi Eric) the patch itself looks sane, and with me and multiple users running it, it's not had any reported problems thus far, so I consider it stable enough to try and submit it in its current 3.4.x form to this list.

The downside is, with everyone moving to 4.x series now, 3.4.x isn't going to be around much longer. I'm not much of a compiler guru, so with the massive changes between 3.4.x and 4.x's mips.md format (and deprecating define_function_insn and splitting of mips.md to cpu-specific md's), most of my ability to analyze and port changes is vastly reduced (since I usually look for similarities in code and adjust accordingly).

If at all possible I'd like to see it make it into gcc at some point in time, not necessarily gcc-4.1, as the patch as it currently stands needs someone to do the work of porting it to fit into 4.x, but I figure if I keep holding onto it, it'll be gcc-5.x before this thing ever gets anywheres.

So if anyone wants to take a stab at porting it, I'd be interested to see the results (so I can compare it to 3.4.x and maybe get an idea of how the changes really port over to 4.x).

For historical reference, the original patch was submitted for gcc-3.0 back in July 2001, and can be seen here:

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond