RE: ATA devices attached to arbitary busses

> This is not the direct `memory map' of the IDE drive's registers! It's an
> indirect map, cfr. e.g.
>
>   #define IDE_DATA_REG            (HWIF(drive)->io_ports[IDE_DATA_OFFSET])
>
> So the actual register is found by looking up offset IDE_DATA_OFFSET in
> the array HWIF(drive)->io_ports[].

Yes, I understand.  This is starting to make more sense.  Here is what I
have figured out:  The first 8 offsets are normally 0-7, just like their
array indexes.  Index 8 and 9, IDE_CONTROLL_OFFSET and IDE_IRQ_OFFSET, were
confusing me because I was expecting them to be the actual offset 8 and 9 --
and I could not find any IDE adapter data sheets that showed them located as
such.  Now that I take a second look at ide_std_init_ports(), I see that the
CONTROL register is treated as a special case, i.e. it is not expected to
follow the STATUS register in address space.  This jives with what I have
seen in data sheets.

It looks like the example that Alan contributed does not update
HWIF(drive)->io_ports[IDE_IRQ_OFFSET].  Or at least I cant figure out where.
I am having trouble identifying this register in IDE data sheets.  Is it one
of the "not used" or obsolete registers?  Do I need to be conserned with it?
Thanks again.

Bryan