Re: Porting mips based routers

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:32:59AM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> > General comments on the WRT code:
>
> The code is full of "Broadcom Proprietary" and "All Rights Reserved"
> notices.  Does anyone have a clear written statement from Broadcom that
> it's redistributable?  (If you're depending on the GPL release
> requirements to justify relicensing, clear documentation of the chain of
> release would be helpful.)

Broadcom's interpretation of these comments is that they don't contradict
the GPL.

> I think there are other OCP busses supported in the kernel; ISTR seeing
> some PPC SoC from IBM that uses OCP... so perhaps this should be brought
> up on l-k for general discussion.
>
> But it's challenging to come up with a useful abstraction that covers
> both the b44 scenario and the SoC scenario.

OCP is basically ISA on steroids - no configuration space, no nothing so
there is not terribly much OCP code that could potencially be shared.
Right now we treat OCP devices such as on PMC-Sierra's RM9000 series as
platform devices.

I'm clearly less than impressed by OCP ...

  Ralf