Building Glibc-2.3.4 for mipsel

I am trying to get Glibc-2.3.4 to build for mipsel.

I am using crosstool to help me do this
I am using 2.6.11.6 kernel
I am using 2.15.96 binutils
I am using Glibc-2.3.4
I am using 3.4.3 Gcc

I try to compile it and i get a problem in the install-headers target where it tries to pass -mabi=32 to a host compile. This will obviously not work.

To get round this i comment out the offending line in sysdeps/mips/mips32/Makefile.

And pass in EXTRA_TARGET_CFLAGS="-mips32 -mtune=r4600"

This succesfuly builds me a toolchain and a kernel and the kernel runs on my target

I then try to compile BUSYBox-1.00 and it errors with a missing bits/syscall.h. I check and it is correct this is missing .
I have seen some patches to do in this area and have tried them all but it makes no difference.

Has anyone used crosstool and GLibc-2-3-4 etc and built a tollchain where bits/syscall.h exists?

I think the problem may lie in my editing of the makefile before install-headers and then the editing it back. But i want to know if anyone has done what i am trying.

Please help!!

DJL