Re: Bitrotting serial drivers

Ralf Baechle wrote:

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 02:13:51PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

No argument here. Pete says the AMD Alchemy UART is just different enough
to be hard to handle in the 8250 and so the driver is just an ugly
chainsawed version of the 8250.c

Even if I don't make me a lot of friends, the au1x00 driver seems to be a hack.

Most of the difference seems to be the PCI stuff, that has been removed and the access method.
Shouldn't we have a driver for the chip and one driver for each access method (isa,pci,...).
The access method should handle register access and the bus abstraction.
I have a lot of problems with the au1x00 serial driver, because I use it together
with a PCMCIA serial port card.

Michael