RE: initial bootstrap and jtag

We use the Macraigor Raven here.  It okay.  Not very fast.  And, for some reason, I've been having memory read problems in little-endian mode.  They've sicne released updated drivers, but I haven't been able to get them to work in my environment (because I have a bunch of older tools in the environment that I've got working well enough for my use with the older driver).

I haven't seen the BDI2000.  My understanding is that the mpDemon is functionally the same, but faster.  If I knew then that I'd spend as much time with JTAG as I've spent, the extra money for mpDemon or the BDI2000 would have definitely been my purchase.

As for configuring the Au1xxx for bootstrapping, this is what I did:

I wrote a minimal gdb script (for use with the Raven-gdb interface) to write config values into CPU registers to get the SDRAM running.  I then uploaded a minimal program that listened for hex data on the serial port, and used that to load code that would perform FLASH memory accesses and the like.

Do people still use ROM emulators?  I think the turnaround time for getting the machine bootstrapped would have been faster with a ROMulator (at least for the stuff I was doing)...