initrd support.

Hi,

I'm going to use initrd to mount my root fs, but I was
wondering what its status...
I have noticed in boot directory addinitrd program
that seems to add an initrd image right after the
kernel.
But there's also a section in kernel/vmlinux.lds.S
called
.initrd that includes initrd image during kernel
compilation.

Why are there two different ways of using initrd ?
Which one I should use ?

Thanks for your answers.

Francis.