Re: Using more than 256 MB of memory on SB1250 in 32-bit mode, revisited

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> I'm still very surprised that Linux cannot handle strange physical
> memory configuration simply (holes in physical memory, DMA memory at
> higher addresses than normal memory).

 That's i386 legacy, later supported by other platforms using a similar
memory model -- starting at 0, mostly contiguous and only two DMA zones
for ISA and 32-bit PCI respectively, both starting at 0.  Remember, most
people working on Linux only have an i386 PC.  If you have something very
different, you need to write code to support it yourself.  If you do it
well enough, it'll be gladly accepted.

  Maciej