Re: SGI O2 Prom modification

On Wed, 2004-09-08 01:31:29 -0400, Kumba <kumba@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <413E9931.8060605@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Glenn Barry wrote:
> >My question is about the possibility of someone helping out with
> >modifying the O2's PROM to recognise the RM7900 CPU from PMC-Sierra.
>
> Modifying the binary is most assuredly way more difficult than gaining
> access to ip32PROM source and modifying it directly (and solving license
> issues). The level of change to the binary needed to make the ip32PROM

I'd not bet my a** on that. Modifying the binary firmware has got a
long, but rare, history. I remeber hacked PROM images for VAXen to
support larger SCSI disks. As long as you don't require a detailled CPU
detection, that should be possible. Hardcoding some values isn't all
thaaat hard. Making it correctly (preserving the formerly running
detection code for other CPUs) is a bit harder, of course :-)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O