From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: S C <theansweriz42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Strange, strange occurence
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:04:12 +0200

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 06:50:00PM +0000, S C wrote:

> Using MontaVista Linux 3.1 on a Toshiba RBTx4938 board. Using YAMON, when I
> download the kernel via the debug ethernet port it runs fine. If I download
> the kernel via the Tx4938 inbuilt ethernet controller, it crashes!

If you're using a Montavista kernel you should report to Montavista.  We
don't have the source so any comment here is speculation.

> The crash is occuring inside the function r4k_flush_icache_range().
>
> I tried 'flush -i' and 'flush -d' on YAMON after the download but before
> the 'go', but that didn't help. I also tried completely disabling caches
> and loading/running uncached, but it gave the same error.
>
> Now, the final twist! Using an ICE, I set a breakpoint at the
> r4k_flush_icache_range function. Then I loaded the kernel as usual, ran it
> with the ICE, stepped through a few instructions inside the
> r4k_flush_icache_range function and then did a 'cont'. The kernel now
> booted fine!

As already pointed out by the other poster Niels Sterrenburg using a
debugger unavoidably changes the state of the system to be debugged.

For at least some of the TX49xx processors there is a problem under certain
circumstances if a flush of an I-cache line flushes that cache instruction
itself.  Make sure you're not getting hit by that one.

Ralf

Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx