Re: Kernel and monitor program

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:17:52PM +0000, S C wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Please pardon the newbie question, but I was wondering what a kernel in
> general expects a monitor program/bootloader like YAMON to do for it
> beforehand, if anything at all. I know the answer is very board specific,
> but if there are any generic things that a kernel expects ready for it
> before it starts running (caches initialized already? SDRAM control regs set
> up? Or maybe the kernel has no expectations at all?), I'd be grateful if
> someone could point them out.

This is almost an FAQ.  (although I don't know if I am giving the
same answer each time ;0)

. initialize system RAM and its controller
. copy kernel to RAM (in normal cases, unless you do XIP)
. initialize and enable cache
. (optionally) pass some args to kernel
. (optionally) initial some board hw.  This is really a negotiation
   between loader and linux board setup routine.

Jun