Re: VINO

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:54:37PM +0200, Jorik Jonker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been playing around a bit with my Indycam, but it seems that some work
> needs to be done to get a nice picture. I've read that it has something to do
> with clipping and that the brightness control register is silently ignored. I
> happen to have an IRIX installtion on my Indy as well, and I tried finding
> out how to read the VINO registers from IRIX, but with no luck.

Indeed, there's probably no easy way to read VINO registers from
userspace.

> I suppose that there must be some kernel-space piece of code to read the GIO
> (?) memory around adress 0x00080000, but I am not able to figure out how to
> do this in IRIX. Perhaps someone (with al little bit more kernel-hacking
> experience) could guide me a little bit on doing this?

That's right idea ((?) - EISA memory space)

> Are there other people beside ladis who are attemping to enhance the VINO
> driver in the linux kernel, and if so, what are your findings?
> I would really like to contribute to VINO development, but it's quite opaque
> matter to me, as the VINO spec is quite unclear and I am not certain what's
> exactly going wrong in the VINO driver.

If you're seriously considering to help with VINO development this link:
http://www.ac3.edu.au/SGI_Developer/books/DevDriver_PG/sgi_html/ch09.html
looks like a good starting point. It's easy, just write driver which
allows you to read VINO registers while capture in progress :)

	ladis