howto compile bootable O2 kernel with FB support?

Hi list,

can anybody give me quite a straightforward directions how to build or where
to acquire a bootable IP32 kernel with framebuffer support? I've been trying
to do that with both self-compilation using gcc 3.3 (stage3 from kumba) or
cross-compile toolchain from linux-mips (gcc 2.95 & co) with no success.
neither of my kernels was able to even start booting. The two possible
scenarios I've observed were (a) quiet hang after displaying the entry point
or (b) illegal instruction.

Interestingly enough, I'm able to boot binary kernel from Vivien (http://
www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung/O2/linux-2.6.1/kernel/vmlinux64) or from Ilya
(http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/mips/kernels/vmlinux.64-20040315).
However, kernel from Vivien has some problems and for Ilya's kernel I have
neither sources/config nor modules...

Now, let me formulate the question: I don't want a bleeding edge top
performance feature-rich kernel, I just need something that works reasonably
well, boots from the hard drive alone and has support for graphics. Is there
something like that for r5000 o2 or it does not exists?

Regards,
Max