Re: shared mem problem

On Thu, 2004-06-03 15:31:53 +0100, Sujith Nayak <nayak_27@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040603143153.42483.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
> I am currently working on a board powered by a MIPS
> processor, using Linux kernel 2.4.2. The problem that

Before doing anything else, you'd consider moving forward to current
2.4.x or even 2.6.x...

> I am facing is, whenever I create a shared memory
> using shmget(), shmat(), etc. APIs, I always see that
> the shared mem is created with 0 bytes. As a result
> any access to it bombs the process.
>
> Anyone has any idea, I will be grateful for your
> response. I had a look at the patch-2.4.2-ac23, which
> talks about the some shared mem lock up problem. But I
> cannot apply the patch as it is because my customer
> has pruned the kernel so much that the patch does not
> apply right away.

Then talk your customer (isn't that actually your vendor?) into putting
work into a newer kernel. Maybe you can diff you their changes agains a
2.4.2 from either linux-mips.org or 2.4.2 from Linus and try to
forward-port the changes to current 2.4.x or 2.6.x ...

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481