From: linux-mips-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-mips-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan-Benedict Glaw
Sent: 22 May 2004 17:07
To: linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Socket problem?

On Sat, 2004-05-22 09:02:48 +0100, Gill <gill.robles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message <000001c43fd3$2c25a350$2000a8c0@gillpc>:
> Hi -
>
> Has anyone come across a socket problem where the user app calls
> select() on a set of sockets, which returns, indicating that data is
> waiting...then subsequent recvfrom() call returns -1 indicating that
> there's nothing there??

Read the select() manpage again. Upon successful return, it's guaranteed
that the very next read() on a file descriptor contained in the result set
won't block. Typically, it's the case after data arrived, but returning -1
*immediately* (with no blocking) is okay, too.

> I'm using linux v2.4.2, IPv4, and the ethernet driver is pcnet32.
> We're receiving a UDP stream.

Quite aged version, though perfectly correct on select() behaviour.

> I'm trying to check for dropped packets.  /proc/net/snmp indicates a
> number of UDP InErrors (~1 per second).  However, not yet sure whether
> this is a consequence of the problem above, or cause of it.

Neither - nor. You've got a small thinko in your application. Albeit
that: update your kernel version... It most probably contains a number of
known root exploits.

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM |