Re: Linux Mips SGI O2 R5000 IP32 INSTALL

Well, you are not the only one ;-)
Currently you cannot use volume header for loading linux kernel due to some
very strange bug. I spent two weeks chsing it, and then decided that my time
is better spent elsewhere. Also, dents in my walls resulting from contact between
my head and walls' surface do not look nice. For now, you should either use
dhcp/bootp or arcboot. Latest version of arcboot (0.3.8.-something, afair) should work out
of the box with O2. If it doesn't, let me know - I'll dig out my highly-hacked binary.

Ilya.

Damian Presswell wrote:

Hi Ilya -

thanks for coming back to me -

I have managed to build a root filesystem using the gentoo sources that you suggested - however -
I am unable to boot off the hardisk -
I have fdisked the first scsi disk, created a 50 meg vlhdr, where I have copied my pre-compiled vmlinux binaries -
it appears to load and provide an entry point but then just hangs and goes no further -
I have also added the original netboot vmlinux binary that I use to boot via tftpboot to the HD's volume header but it does the same thing - just hangs after the entry point -

I can boot the system using bootp(): and the kernel binary located in the tftpboot using root=dev/sda3 - but cannot figure why it doesnt seem to work off the volume header of the HD -

once again -

any help would be appreciated -

thanks

ilya@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Use Gentoo.
Also, Glaurung's kernels are bit out-od-date. Use self-built
kernel from recent linux-mips.org CVS. In worst case, use
one of Gentoo's kernel binaries.

Ilya.