questions about keyboard

Title: Message
Hi,  All,

I tried couple places and hope can get some help here.

I try to connect a USB keyboard device to a mips embedded system.
There is no console or X Window or any type of the graphic system configured.
All I want to do is to:
The user can dynamically connect the USB keyboard to the device. The device will listen to the key event from the keyboard and response by doing certain things.

I believe I successfully configured the USB keyboard.  I verified this by put "printk" at the first line of the function handle_scancode in keyboard.c.  Everytime when I push the key on the keyboard, I see that printk.

However, what I don't get is how can I get the key event from the kernel?  I tried to listen to all the ttyN, but none of them connect to the keyboard.
I wonder how I can write a user space application that can get the key event?  Could somebody help me out?  Because it is an embedded device, there is no X.

Thanks

John