RE: r3000 instruction set

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:

> Someone suggested posting the message I get.  Here it is:
>
> >./kaffe-bin FirstClass
> [kaffe-bin:6] Illgal instruction 674696a at 2abb034, ra=2adbffd0,
> P0_STATUS=0000500
> pid 6: killed (signal 4)
> >Reading command line: Try again
> Kernel panic: Attmpted to kill int!
>
> Someone else suggested dumping all the assembler instructions.  The listing
> is really long, so I made a unique list of the commands themselves.  If
> someone can tell me how to use the above error message to figure out the
> command causing the problem, I'd really appreciate it.  If that's

 The causing instructions is 674696a -- depending on the endianness, it's
either:

6a697406	ldl	t1,29702(s3)

which requires at least MIPS III or:

0674696a	0x674696a

which is completely invalid.

 There are a few ways to track the reason down:

1. Figure out which binary or shared library 0x2abb034 belongs to and
disassemble the surrounding code.

2. Enable core dumps, run the failing program and do a post-mortem
analysis of the resulting dump with gdb.

3. Run the failing program under gdb and see where SIGILL happens.

4. Perhaps others.

> impossible, can someone tell me which command listed below does not belong?
>
> /opt/crosstool/mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3/bin/mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-objdump
> -d kaffe-bin | awk '{print $3}' | sort -u

 You really want "-S" instead of "-d" (there's usually no point to
disassemble data) and add "-m mips:isa64" or a similar, suitably high ISA
selector (depending on binutils version), so that you get a disassembly of
all instructions as opposed to those defined by the MIPS I ISA only.