Re: CVS Update@xxxxxxxxx: linux

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  How do we assure tails of interrupt handlers don't trigger the errata?
>
> The problem can only be triggered if instructions surrounding the
> cacheop use the dcache; exceptions such as interrupts are not relevant.

 Why?  How is an "eret" with its preceding instructions different to other
instructions?  There may be a data cache miss soon before an "eret" and
the response buffer may contain data.  And you may get an exeption right
before a CACHE instruction.

> Which I'm really happy about.  Disabling interrupts is a problem in cases
> were we can't avoid page faults.

 I worry this is unsafe and given the unlikeliness of getting an interrupt
just between the dummy load and the CACHE instruction, this change creates
a completely obscure bug that'll bite unpredictably and possibly
invisibly, just corrupting data, every once and then.  But the situation
may be not that bad -- what does exactly happen when the erratum gets
triggered?  Missing a Create_Dirty_Excl_D operation should itself be a
performance hit only, but given the problems reported I suppose data gets
corrupted, either in the cache or in the main memory.  Am I right?