"-G" optimizations

Hi,
If I understand correctly, "-G" flag tells gcc that
static variables below a certain size are placed
in a small area that allows easier access to them by
avoiding the two step load.
Ralf's reply to a question on the same issue I posted
a year ago, implied that this optimization is not
available in mips kernel.
Is it ?

I ran into an existing project where the kernel
was compiled with "-G0" while a module was compiled
with "-G8".
Is this a legal combination ?
If it isn't, what could the implications be ?
TIA