Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler

> As for the kernel, -mcpu was deprecated in gcc-3.2.x, and totally
> removed in gcc-3.3.x.  You'll want to use the -march option (or
> -mips[1234] as a synonym), although if you use a recent kernel source
> tree off linux-mips anoncvs, selecting the right CPU/Machinetype in
> menuconfig will supply the proper -march/-mipsX commands to the
> compiler.

Oh ok then - so what should I do to actually compile a MIPS kernel?  I'd
rather not have to download an entirely separate kernel source, so should I
just go back to gcc-3.1.1 that supports -mcpu?

Will kernel 2.6.1 or whatever's next work properly in this respect?  I realise
that there are plenty of valid reasons for removing -mcpu, but it does create
a big headache for us users, who just want the darn thing to 'go' ;-)

> You'll also want to pass something like this:
> make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mips-unknown-linux-gnu- <target>

Oh ok - yes, I sort of guessed how to do this as it wasn't written anywhere,
and I used "mips-linux" for everything so all should be well there.

At any rate, I think I'll have to call it a day - it's way too much of a
hassle just to get a working MIPS cross-compiler, and with all the hoops you
have to jump through I haven't got any patience left :-(

Thanks for all your help everyone,
Adam.