Intel Pro 82546 chipset performance

Hi

We're trying to use the Intel Pro 1000 adapters with the 82546 chipset
for a packet switching application. Has anyone investigated performance
on this chipset? With minimum sized ethernet frames, the maximum throughput
I can get is about 1 million packets per second (versus a 1.4 mill for line rate
on a gigethernet) and it looks that performance is skewed towards receiving
traffic (rather than sending out).

If anyone has any opinions or thoughts I'd appreciate them. It's hard to
get information out of Intel.

Find out everything you need to know about Las Vegas here for that getaway. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/vivalasvegas.armx