Re: Running Linux on an NCD HMX X-Terminal

> I brought up linux on the PPC403 version of an NCD x-terminal.  As I recall
> I had to write program to hack the elf header to get kernels to load.
> The project is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/explora-linux/

Hmm...this looks interesting!

> You may get lucky and find they used the same format for MIPS...

Well I am hopeful, given that they use the same manual for the HMX and the
Explora, but running ncdhack on the kernel didn't seem to have any effect :-(

I did try some fiddling with the ELF files, just to see what would happen (but
not having any experience with this, I was just guessing ;-))  The load
address for the proper boot image is 0x40020000 but the kernel is 0x88002000
which I think is partly why it doesn't work.  If I shrink the ELF file a
little by removing a couple of the sections (by telling objcopy to ignore
them) *and* I change the load address to 0x40020000 then the xterm actually
downloads the image but then gives a "File corrupted CRC error" just as it
goes to boot it.

I'm not sure why that happens, because manipulating the file properly with
objcopy should adjust any CRC checksums accordingly.  I wonder whether the
xterm is checking that the image is 'official'?

Cheers,
Adam.