Re: Instability / caching problems on Qube 2 - solved ?

My prejudices are showing but...

o Shouldn't the kernel should have a zero-tolerance policy towards cache
  aliases?  That is, no D-cache alias should ever be permitted to
  happen, not even in data you reasonably hope might be read-only?

  Aliases only appeared by a kind of mistake when the R4000 was
  opportunistically repackaged without the secondary cache (the L2
  cache tags used to keep track of the virtually-indexed L1s, and you
  got an exception if you created an L1-alias).

  They really aren't a feature to be tolerated in the hope you can
  clean up before disaster strikes.

o And I could never get my brains round cache maintenance if I used
  the same word ("flush") both for invalidate and write-back.

--
Dominic Sweetman
MIPS Technologies.