Compact Flash on AU1500

I recently finished work on u-boot to get it to read a compact flash
properly on the AU1500.  Now I need to get it working under Linux as well,
but have a few questions.  Is root fs on CF supported under 2.4.22?  I
have had conflicting reports on that, and need to know if that has to be
solved first.  I have been told that user space Card Services needs to be
loaded to detect the CF card, but that doesn't seem right with the ide-cs
in the kernel.  The problem with the AU1500 and u-boot was that the AU1X00
series processors always put the data from the CF in big-endian mode
regardless of what endian mode the CPU is running in, which is exactly the
wrong way around for reading partition tables and filesystems.  I have
been having trouble tracking down where in the kernel the actual reads are
done from the compact flash card, could someone point me to the right
place?

Ed Okerson