BCM1250 Current Descriptor

Hi,
I have a question which is specific for the BCM1250. I hope this
is the right forum to ask this, if not, my apologies.

In an RX DMA channel the BCM1250 signals a received packet
by turning on the SOP bit. When a packet arrives, the current_descriptor
register also updates to the next packet.
Could there be a (non-trivial) time gap between the update of those ?
We see a scenario where the SOP bit is on, but the descriptor count
shows that the packet still belongs to the DMA. How can this be ?

TIA