Re: configuring 2 ethernet ports

On Fri, 2003-10-24 09:11:26 -0400, David Kesselring <dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com>
wrote in message <Pine.GSO.4.44.0310240905590.17395-100000@ares.mmc.atmel.com>:
> I am trying to setup a pci wlan nic on a Malta board. I've compiled the
> driver into the kernel and I have setup

Which brand of wlan card?

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. After boot, when I look at
> /proc/pci it looks like the system detected the card fine but ifconfig
> only shows eth0 (the builtin port). How is the pci id linked to a
> particular driver? What else do I need to do? I've scoured google but have

In 2.4.x, drivers tend to only have internal knowledge on which hardware
they work. So you need to give some 'alias eth1 wlanmodulename' in your
/etc/modules.conf file.

For 2.6.x, drivers export this table and (in theory), the hotplug
scripts *can* load a driver just upon the card showing up. However,
normally (for static network cards not handled by the hotplug API),
you'll just use the exactly same line, but in /etc/modprobe.conf.

MfG, JBG