From: Dan Aizenstros [mailto:daizenstros@quicklogic.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:43 PM
To: AdeelM@avaznet.com
Subject: Re: RE: Information required

Hello Adeel,

You need to pass -mlong-calls to the compiler.
You can add it the CFLAGS.

Regards,

Dan Aizenstros
Software Engineering Manager
QuickLogic Canada

>>> Adeel Malik <AdeelM@avaznet.com> 08/28/03 08:22 AM >>>
Hello Jun,

Thanks for the reply.I have checked for the unresolved function symbols like
"printk" and "register_chrdev", and found that they are present in
/proc/ksyms. So it appears to me that I may be compiling the module with
incorrect parameters.

Below is the Makefile for the Loadable Module:

**************************************/

CROSS_COMPILE=
/backup/buildroot-QuickMIPS/build/staging_dir/bin/mipsel-uclibc-

TARGET = example_driver

INCLUDE = /backup/buildroot-QuickMIPS/build/linux-2.4.20/include

CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -I${INCLUDE}

CFLAGS = -DMODVERSIONS -I${INCLUDE}/linux/modversions.h

${TARGET}.o: ${TARGET}.c

.PHONY: clean

clean:

rm -rf ${TARGET}.o

*************************************/

Do you think that I need to modify the makefile or add some more options to
CFLAGS.

I have ensured that the kernel is compiled with "module-option" turned on.

Also my module uses symbol versioning (sometimes called module versioning).

I use the following lines of code at the start of header file to accomplish
this:

#if defined (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS) && ! defined (MODVERSIONS)

#include <linux/modversions.h>

#define MODVERSIONS

#endif

I have successfully cross-compiled user-space applications on the target
platform. Only when i do the kernel work, this unresolved symbol (like
printk, register_chrdev, etc..) phenomenon happens.

ADEEL MALIK,