RTL8139 -- Link status change

Hi,

Setup: MIPS board -> Hub <- RH 9 (DHCP server)

I have a RTL8139 based PCI NIC inserted on the MIPS?s PCI (2.1) slot. The
WAL on the NIC is left floating (Is that a problem?). I am able to send
packets from the MIPS board to RH 9, but the packets sent from the RH 9 is
not reaching the MIPS board.

Even if the DHCP server is not connected, I see the Link status change
interrupt (status) bit of ISR going high after every packet sent from the
MIPS board. Seems like the cause for the problem I see, am I right?
Can somebody tell me why the link status is changing after a packet is sent
out?

Sample at every change in ISR:
-----------------------------
BMCR = 0x1100
BMSR = 0x782d
ANAR = 0x01e1
ANLPAR = 0x45e1
ANER = 0x0001
DIS = 0x0000
FCSC = 0x0000

Is there a register to look at, for the cause to this link status change <The above registers don't change at all>? Please suggest me a way to debug this issue.

Thanks,
-Mike.