cvs update 2_4 branch breaks userland

My board runs userland apps that makes use of SIGUSR1. When I did a cvs
update today and recompiled the kernel, when I run my app it quits with
"User defined signal 1" and bails. The signal is delivered a pthread_kill
command. The app runs about 8 or 9 threads all blocking on various IO with
various priority levels. I boot the old kernel back up and it runs fine.

Board is running an NECVR4181
Toolchain is a uclibc something.19 (building 20 now) with gcc 3.3 and the
latest binutils

I have the 2.4.21 kernel and I did a cvs update on it today.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

Steve