Which toolchain? Trouble at kernel-starting

Hello,

I want to start some work for the Indigo1 (IP20). So, I need a working
kernel.

At first I tried the tftpboot.img from the debian indy install. After
the tftpload, it stopped with a message "Yeee, could not determine
architecture type <SGI-IP20>" as expected.

Later I compiled a kernel with no changes, just as a starting point for
work. After some experience, I got it compiled, converted to ecoff and
loaded, but after the kernel load, the machine dies silently - no
messages, nothing.

I used the sdelinux toolchain mentioned at the linux-mips homepage,
and the latest CVS 2.4-kernel from linux-mips, and some other toolchains
and kernels.

Does anybody have some idea, which toolchain/kernel source was used for
the debian tftp boot installer image?

(Or what might cause these symptoms?)

Thank you,
	Achim Hensel