Re: Corruption in 2.4.x

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Recently we started seeing slight file corruption and random segmentation
> faults with the 2.4.x MIPS kernel from CVS. The problems appeared after
> upgrading from 2.4.20 (CVS 2003-01-13) to 2.4.21-pre4 (CVS 2003-05-06), which
> introduced the new cache/tlb optimizations.
>
> Most prominent indication of the file corruption is the corruption of
> /etc/motd, of which the non-first lines are rewritten by the startup scripts on
> every boot up.

Just to keep you informed...

Apparently this problem was not caused by Linux, but by the hardware. A few
hours after I sent the previous mail, my IDE disk started showing unrecoverable
read errors on some blocks.  According to the e2fsck badblocks test, /etc/motd
was on a bad block. So most probably the disk started returning wrong data
about one month ago, without detecting there was a read error (lousy ECC and
bad block remapping?).

Now the bad blocks are no longer in active use, everything works fine! Sorry
for the noise.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds