Linux on Octane IP30 (was Re: Linux on Indigo2 (IP28) - R10000)

On 2003.06.10 22:21 Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
> > And Keith Wesolowsky is even working on it. Only problem is complete
> > absence of documentation.
> Well, for values of "working" that involve reading headers and
> pondering, yeah.  We have the memory map from the irix headers;
> otherwise as Ralf points out it should have been called Origin 100.

Which only contributes to my confusion, I have no clue how these
machines compare.

> Getting a serial-only port going should not be terribly hard.  The
> problem, as always, is finding time to work on these things.  Any of
> you who are students will probably get to this long before we working
> stiffs do, so have at it...

Not that I'm claiming in any way to have the skills nor the time: what
are the issues involved?

I stumbled uppun some documentation on Andrew Clausen working on
supporting Origin 200 earlier this year. He wrote a small howto on some
of the quirks involved in shoving a Linux kernel onto one of those
beasts.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/sgi/LINUX-IP27-HOWTO

He has some utils and some info on getting it running, what is your
take? Will this get my anywhere near having a running Linux on my
Ocane? Or do I have to start kernel-hacking before that will happen =]?

--
Regards Martin Leopold.
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen