Re: lwl-lwr

Some free or "MIPS-like" CPUs don't implement it because of a patent
problem. I've seen at least one implementation on opencores.org that has
this (missing) feature.

Probably if the compiler were to emit lwl and lwr code via
__attribute__((packed)), these instructions would have to be emulated by
the kernel on such a CPU. I imagine this would be quite a bit worse than
just doing two normal loads and extracting the desired word.

Will