NCD900 port?

I'm facing a ~$1K site license charge for NCD's NCBridge software for
their NC948 X Terminals, and since my site consists of exactly three
of these things that I bought for less than $250 each I'm balking a
bit.

The NC948 consists of a 165 MHz QED RM5231, S3 Savage4 graphics
controller, and an AMD PCnet NIC of some sort.  It doesn't seem like
there's anything in that set that Linux or XFree86 wouldn't be happy
to run.

To be completely explicit what I'm proposing is to run Linux on the X
Terminal (as opposed to the server that provides boot image, xdm,
etc.).  My question is: has anybody done it or does anybody know a
reason why it can't be done?

Chip

--
Charles  M. "Chip" Coldwell