Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board

Hi,

I am new to Linux. But I have a strong ARM & MIPS background with kernel porting & other stuff.

I want to get a higher-level view of the essential components of Linux for MIPS & documentation about the kernel. Please point me to documents on the net.

Question 2:
Does Linux-MIPS support the MIPS Atlas board with 4Kc processor using mipsisa32-elf build tool chain (Contain the appropriate HAL or BSP)? Is so, please point me to documents that gives the exact build steps for the same.

Also do let me know if Cygwin over Win98 dev. environment is good for building & developing with Linux-MIPS or do I need to have Linux installed on my dev. machine?

Thanks a lot,
-Mike.