printk problems

Hello,
I am trying to port linux to a custom built IDT MIPS board. I have
managed to get the UART working. My bootup code loads and prints some
debugging messages initially and then actual kernel bootup occurs.
However it hangs when it reaches the first printk function. i have tried
to debug this with some difficulty but with no effect. Could some one
tell me or atleast point me to where i can get some info on how printk
works or atleast how to debug my printk to see where the actual problem
lies?

Thanks in advance.

Avinash