RE: IDE initialization on AU1500?

Hi,

I can say much about the IRQ probe failure, but I do have an issue
with the scanning of drives.  Pete is correct that the MAX_HWIFS
definition determines the number of ide interfaces, and ide code
will scan for drives on all of them, even if most interfaces are
not present.  In my case I know that I have only one hw interface
and was able to set this to one (1).  That way no time is wasted
in scanning non-existent interfaces. Saves a few 10s of milliseconds
at boot time :-)  It won't 'fix' the IRQ probe failure you are
seeing, but you'll certainly avoid it.

Still, I can't explain why the scanning of non-existent hwifs was
ever done this way.  I wonder if this was rectified when the IDE
subsystem was refactored in the 2.5 kernel.  I know this new IDE
code was back ported to 2.4.21 also. Let's hope things are a done
a little bit better in this new code.

Lyle