compressed image for mips:malta

Hi,
I am working with a mips malta 4KC box. It supports vmlinux. The linux
kernel version that I am using is 2.4.18

However the size of the vmlinux image looks high (more than 1M).  I am
trying to get a smaller image (with neworking). Need some help :

Is their any compressed image is supported for this particular board?

Does the loader need some change to support compressed image?

In case I need to provide support for the compressed image, is there any
similar board on which the compressed image support is present?

Any suggession is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
debashis